11.8.12

amalfitana

{Amalfi}

We spent the second week of our Italian holiday on the Amalfi coast, but if you've ever read this post, perhaps you'll not be surprised to hear that the near disaster, that likes to strike once in a blue holiday moon, returned.

The 'charming, typically Italian riviera villa, filled with antiques in a desirable location called Meta, a couple of kilometres outside Sorrento' was in fact an exhausted dump of a place in a rather uninspiring town a short but traffic jam-busy journey away. With a filthy oven and kitchen contents of chipped crockery and particles of previous inhabitants' food, stained and less than springy mattresses which would have surprised me if there weren't any bed bugs, lumpy pillows, broken windows, not to mention some kind of mouldy life form growing it really wasn't the place for us.

{Positano}

{Positano}

{Positano}

{Positano}

But what unnerved me the most was the condition of the three boilers which looked antiquated, eroded in parts and so badly fitted I would put money on them having never been maintained. There are too many news stories about families who never make it back from their holidays because of carbon monoxide poisoning and there was no way I was going to have our family bump up the statistics. So, we took our bags and decamped to the nearest hotel!

We lost a day and a half of our holiday, negotiating a refund and finding somewhere else to stay, which is not easy in high season, believe you me. It even crossed my mind I'd rather go home but air miles and flexibility don't go together!  However, we are if not tenacious and eventually got our money back. As risky as the internet is when it comes to portraying holiday rentals, it is without doubt a useful tool for threatening to post unsightly photos!


Things have a habit of working out for the best and we found ourselves a wooden cabin, beautifully peaceful and nestled amongst lemon trees, and a mere 500 meters from Sorrento town centre in Villagio Verde. Run by a family, it was extremely friendly, basic but nice and clean and the children were ecstatic to have a pool once again. And being so close meant we were able to meander down to promenade, dine out and watch the evening street entertainment, which was all incredible and oh, how I LOVE Sorrento!



We were much more active this second week, visiting a thronged Sorrento market which was mostly tat apart from a lady selling lace .. I can sniff that out from a mile off now. And visits along the coastline to Amalfi and Positano were picturesque and glamorous beyond belief.

{Sorrento}

I'll have to leave the highlights for another time but till then, enjoy the sunshine. We've been soaking up some Olympic atmosphere this week and there's yet more to be done ..

Ciao!

14 comments:

  1. I can do basic but I am with you on cleanliness and more importantly safety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a bit Spartan when it comes to holidays, I don't always tend to find luxury- clean (sheets and everything) and hot water is basically what I need most. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have a nice decor where you are accommodated and picturesque surrounding.
    When touring through Sicily two years ago we found our accommodation through internet and we booked hotels because we were afraid not ending up in a place you described above.

    I am glad that event didn't ruin your holiday and I love the photos you took. Hope you share a little bit more of your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a shame your holiday accommodation was not as portrayed but glad you managed to find somewhere else and enjoy the rest of your time - it looks a lovely place to visit. I am intrigued by the two photos of the men - are they real? Look forward to seeing some more of your photos later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness you got it sorted and managed to have have a good time in the end. Amazing scenery. :)
    In comparison to some of your past holiday adventures I suppose it was lower down the scale!!
    I am so impressed you got to see gorillas in the wild ~ wow!! That I would love to do!
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I want to go back to Italy! Can I come too next time please Kate? xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awful that you had to find new accommodations on such short notice travelling with young ones! I am so glad things worked out for you, the holiday photos are lovely. Amalfi is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you ever think it might be simpler to stay at home ;D

    Hope the rest of your summer is entirely uneventful x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds very like a holiday experience of mine a few years ago! Great few days in Rome then a 'villa' outside Sorrento which was a bit of a shocker. Everything reeked of mothballs, the towels were threadbare and there was a semi-resident dog that was horribly mangy and sorrowful. The redeeming feature was the view. Have very happy memories of that holiday, despite the accommodation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amalfi looks wonderful....I've just told my hubby we are going (may not be in the near future, but go we will one day!) how is that gold person suspended like that....looks intriguing.

    Glad that your accommodation problems were resolved and the rest of your stay there was good, how nice to be in among it all, especially being able to amble through the night life.

    Look forward to seeing your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That first place sounded v scarey!! It all worked out OK though thankfully. Fab photos. Was in Marazion last week and thought of you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a story to tell! That experience will be one to relate in the years to come. I am so glad it all had a happy ending though. The good part sounds really terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I would love to go....but minus the yuckiness. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear there was a happy ending. T x

    ReplyDelete
  14. glad you found somewhere nicer! xxx

    ReplyDelete

There's nothing like a comment to stop me feeling like I'm talking to myself. If you leave one here I'll pop one back here too, so don't forget to come back and continue the conversation ..

,