5.8.11

three stages


We've been making our own dairy products for a couple of years and it's always a treat to visit Modbury Farm. They have a herd of organic Jersey cows, the prettiest things and not only do they look good but the milk and cream they produce is the best I've ever tasted. We make a pilgrimage to stock up on their raw (unpasteurised) milk and cream so we can continue our own in-house cottage industry. Nothing compares to the flavour of unpasteurised dairy and making it is a lot of fun too.

Stage 1: Yoghurt
A litre of raw milk and a sachet of kefir (only needed for the first time, add a little yoghurt to the next batch of milk instead). Mixed together, covered and put in a warm place and within a couple of days we are eating the most delicious yoghurt imaginable. A little reminiscent of French yoghurt which is smoother and slightly sweeter. ..


Stage 2: Creme fraiche
Yoghurt and double cream. A good cupful of the freshly made yoghurt stirred into a few cartons of double cream, mixed throughly, covered and put back in that warm place. In another couple of days or so this will have thickened and turned sour. Oh my goodness, this truly is nothing like the stuff bought in shops, it is completely heavenly and of this you have got to believe me ..


Stage 3: Butter
This process is ultra quick and the result beyond delicious. Sometimes we cut out the creme fraiche stage and make butter from double cream alone but making it this way gives a sourer, slightly more interesting flavour. You can read this post for a butter 'how to' if you like.


Yum, breakfast calls and my tummy's rumbling. I think you can probably guess what I'll be having today. Have a lovely weekend everyone.

PS. If you're interested in more details let me know and I'll send them on x

17 comments:

  1. Mmm, lovely post!
    I used to make kefir years ago,but stopped. Still remember the taste,though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful - have just checked out the farm website and see it is not far from us. Ironic that I hear about so many interesting places in my own neck of the woods from you who lives in London!! Must go and check out the farm soon and also try making the yoghurt and creme fraiche at home too. Thanks for this interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm yummy. often wanted to make yoghurt but have been put off by those fake easiyog kits you can buy.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you posted about this. Making butter is on our summer bucket list. My family made homemade yogurt growing up and I love the flavour and consistency. I have never tried creme fraiche, but it is called for in so many recipes it is also on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you have inspired me to give it a go maybe the yogurt to start x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! It's ages since I've made yoghurt but I'm tempted to make it againafter your post. I've made butter with the children when they were samll by shaking cream in an empty jar... great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow another skill in your arsenal - these look oh too tempting.
    As a child we a had a contraption for turning butter and milk into cream. With no fridge, fresh cream was a rare treat (We used to have tinned cream). You pumped a handle and it forced the butter and milk through a small nozzle as far as I can remember. It was a bit of a palaver!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is all very interesting Kate, I'm really impressed!
    Enjoy your yoghurt and have a lovely weekend. :)
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this is wonderful! We make yogurt all the time but I've never once tried creme fraiche. I'd love to give it a go. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm fascinated that you do this and that you have access to the raw milk to do it so well. Here it is very hard to come by raw milk. The butter looks delicious and I think we will make that a summer project. Enjoy yours in the meantime. T x

    ReplyDelete
  11. First of all I missed your birthday! sorry - happy birthday! Just been catching up with all the Dorset loveliness, but this dairy post is the best! So cool!

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in love with raw milk. Jersey cows are beautiful, I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've got a yoghurt maker which I haven't used for years. I must dig it out and make some yoghurt using some gold top milk I saw whilst doing the food shop last week. I'm sure it won't taste anywhere near as good as your yoghurt, or creme fraiche but it's worth a try. It looks so yummy. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. We make our own yogurt, and have done for ages, but have never tried creme fraiche - thank you for the handy hint! I have also made a simple cheese, by draining the yogurt further, hanging it in muslin until it is really thick, and mixing in salt. I did try butter once, but with a family of 5 who gobble up the stuff at a cracking rate, I just couldn't keep up!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kate..what an interesting post..the idea of creme fraiche sounds delicious and homemade does seem to be the best..like all things!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh gosh! My tummy's rumbling too! Your food photography is just like something out of a glossy magazine, superb! Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete

There's nothing like a comment to stop me feeling like I'm talking to myself. If you leave one here I'll pop one back here too, so don't forget to come back and continue the conversation ..

,