This particular project took a little longer than the norm because, you see, it all began with a toile. Urgh, I loathe doing them, it always seems a waste of time but obviously it isn't in the long run if there's a chance of ruining a perfectly good piece of cloth. And this is good cloth; denim-like linen from Fabrics Galore - yay, Mecca!
Up till now the Japanese dress patterns I've sewn for myself have been of the pull-over-the-head variety but this one has a defined waist, which is why I decided to err on the side of caution. I wasn't convinced the waistband would fall in the right place for me plus, given the absence of hubby at the crucial moment, measuring from nape to waist was proving a little tricky on my own and I didn't think it fair to rely on the children to help out! There are also darts on both the front and back of the bodice and I needed to make sure they would all pass the test too.
I used an old ripped sheet for my toile, one that I'd saved up for just such a purpose. The one that Carrot boy had been sleeping on once upon a time, clearly having great fun in the night, making what would have started off as a tiny hole into a massive tear stretching most of the length. As you do! And latterly the one that was taken apart and used to line the 'joyful dress'.
The pattern is from Sewing Talk (Machiko Kayaki), one of my favourites and already used for this and this and, my goodness, this one too. Haven't I just got my money's worth?! I've been eyeing up the wrap ever since I bought the book so it was only a matter of time.
Despite having bought four metres of the fabric, I was still miserly with the placing and cutting out because I know this linen will come in useful for a million and one projects yet to come. I had it all cut out before Half Term so what a treat is was to get back and have it waiting, in complete readiness, for me to get out the pins, plug in the sewing machine and draw up the swivel chair.
After all that, the waist fell in just the right place so no alterations were needed, but I'm still glad I did the toile. In any case, having made it up once already it was a much quicker job with the real thing.
As for the doilies, I wanted to take the dress up a level and took inspiration from Stylish Dress 1. There is a picture inside were the model sits crocheting doilies only it looks like they are actually a part of her dress. I love that image. I bet I get some comments though, for having a couple of 'coasters' attached to me. It will be interesting to see how many will understand the lure of the doily - not like you all do!
So although this has been made for quite some time, it's been too cold to even think about putting it on for the camera. But the weather is fantastic at the moment, isn't it and yes, I can see I'm going to enjoy this dress. Of course it's still a little cool to be thinking about wearing it now but that's ok. I'll just have to make something else instead!
Happy Thursday x