25.9.13

factory girl




The light is changing in my corner of the globe. Autumn is definitely here now and the ISO setting has been pumped up to compensate. Oh dear, not only that but the window of photographic opportunity is not on my side any more. The Vancouver rain is thinking about whether it should stay or go (I know which I prefer) and all of a sudden I can remember what those months of dampness were like. Don't get me wrong though, we are all loving this place, it's just I believe I had forgotten about those long, wet, days when even the night we arrived was dark and dreary. Do you know it was nearly ten months ago now. Can you believe that? I'm not sure I can.

Thank you for your kind comments on my featherweight cardi. As predicted it is getting a fair bit of use at the moment although it won't be long till that will no longer suffice. We haven't gone so far as to reach for the heating switch, however blankets are now atop beds and the days are without doubt getting shorter.

I've never worked in a factory but if I did, I'd be happy if I could only wear this dress.

Factory Dress, the latest in the collection by Merchant and Mills, is a roomy, pull over style with sturdy collar, breast pocket, inset pockets and rolled up sleeves, all very reminiscent of the 20s or wartime 1930s. Made up as is intended, it is an easy to wear, relaxed garment but the pattern gives you the foundation for more possibilities, you only need to dream those up. I might one day think of using just the top half for a blouse, perhaps lengthen it a little and add side slits at the hem line. Or maybe I'll extend the bodice for an all in one A-line dress and sew up a belt, who knows.

The fabric I used is a wonderful linen that crossed the ocean with us. Its origins lie with Burberry and as you would expect, good quality weighty stuff with lots of drape and substance. I think it would have been too warm for the summer months but right now, with the weather on the turn? Perfect.

Are you feeling the season changing too? Are the leaves falling to the ground, or starting to unfurl I wonder?

25 comments:

  1. Ooh, that is my dream dress. Seriously i love utility wear and in chambray linen, swoon!
    It would suit a roll neck jersey underneath too so very transseasonal too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for showing the side pocket, I couldn't be absolutely sure the dress had them, but I'll definitely buy the pattern now I know it has. It looks beautiful in the linen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it's beautiful!!! Gorgeous fabric and it looks stunning on you :-) You have such lovely taste in fabric and yarn and patterns. Your Featherweight is beautiful too, I'm hoping to cast on one soon. Hope you enjoy your Autumn. We are slowly trying to unfurl down here :-) Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just discovered your fab blog. Off to work now but looking forward to reading your archives later and now following! Love, love, love the dress XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying to ignore the changing season, you know me I enter autumn kicking and screaming! :)
    Your dress is beautiful and if I may say...very 'Kate' !
    I did work in a factory once during school holidays and I loved it much more so than working in the bank which became my 'real' job. I think it was the hands on approach to the work that I loved!
    V xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that fabric. Hang on through the rainy season and knit thick sweaters as quickly as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made that dress about a month ago in a Japanese denim (dark blue with a white graph style check) bought at the Cloth House in Berwick Street. It has already had a lot of wear here in autumnal London and I've just bought a navy blue skinny rib roll neck jumper from M&S to wear under it to ensure that I can keep wearing it once winter arrives. I worried a bit that while wearing the dress I might be mistaken for a dinner lady but my nearest and dearest assure me that that isn't going to happen!

    Best wishes, Joan, Stratford, London

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes, feeling the change of season here in maine, too. that dress is beautiful! looks like a staple garment...your fabric choice was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, the air is much cooler day and night here in NYC. My apartment's radiators have been in action on a few recent early mornings and I toast their action!

    The Factory dress is a winner, with such classic lines that flatter women, and those little details that make the design a design. You chose a beautiful fabric.

    Can't remember if I did compliment that cardi, but it's also a gem.

    What fun it is to visit here. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving that dress will look it up too....
    Here in dorset, uk we have late summer balmy weather with a few showers....its gorgeous I love this time of year the best....oops sorry but you did ask!!!!!!!

    bestest to you today
    Daisy j x

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's really perfect kate, looks lovely and fits beautifully. i feel the urge to sew now too! thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a lovely dress, thank you so much for sharing this pattern! it looks so comfortable but smart too ... am imagining in liberty although I adore the linen
    Barbara x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a cute style! Great details.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is just gorgeous Kate, I really love the simplicity of the style and what perfect fabric too! Enjoy wearing it x Penny

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a fabulous dress. Stylish and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE the dress. Slowly I am beginning to lose the weight I gained during my steroid treatments and one of the things I am looking forward to is getting back to is some dressmaking ... somehow going to that much trouble for a temporary-ish Michelin Man me just didn't seem the thing. This pattern will be top of my list to buy I think.

    Wishing you some lovely sunny autumn days x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I wish I could pull of this style. It's wonderful and looks amazing on you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. it's absolutely divine! Perfect.

    I've got the pattern for the trapeze dress but I'm a bit scared... have you ever done that one?

    ReplyDelete
  19. How did I miss this post Kate? I just adore this dress and you carry it off so well. You realy are a bit of my "wannabe style" person. I want to wear flowing well draped linen tunics and dresses for the my mid forties, so simple and beautifully elegant. Clever you indeed, enjoy the rest of the Autumn before the chills arrive xox Penny

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loving your gorgeous makes! Dark and dreary here too. We did have one lovely day this weekend, then back to wet and gray. Happy Autumn to you in any case!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks lovely and such a fab material - I hope to start work on my own version very soon.
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've got the pattern... you might have just convinced me to make it up!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I thought you looked so good in this dress that I have just ordered the pattern and some lovely chambray from Merchant & Mills. Excited to start this now ! Thnaks so uch for the inspiration - just what I needed to get going with sewing again !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, I've found your post through pinterest. I just started the dress, am somewhat of a beginner sewer and finding some trouble along the way. For example (step #11) after sewing the darts the two bodices don't fit together well so I'm stumped as to how the shoulder seams will actually fit together then the front bodice sewn together at the center. Hard to give details in writing, if you could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

There's nothing like a comment to stop me feeling like I'm talking to myself. If you leave one here I'll pop one back here too, so don't forget to come back and continue the conversation ..

,