Although I am beyond excited about my latest knit, there is also much shame and embarrassment that goes with. You see, the conception of my Rowan's Luka actually began back in April 2011. A lengthy project by any standards but one that has finally, and at times against the odds, been completed. And hallelujah, it fits.
Various excuses are attached to the resumé -
* Those bloomin' cats being the main one. Not fully trained in leaving mama alone when she has knitting on the go, they still delight in pouncing, clawing, dragging a 'wip' across floors, even. This makes me stand up in panic mode, hurrying to finish the row, tension growing tighter and tighter with every stitch. It has been an exercise of the start/stop variety and lately, in a final and desperate bid to get the thing finished, the only option was to lock the kitties in their bedroom (yes, they do have one!) extra early so knitting could recommence. I was also mindful of the fact that the boy was growing, you must understand, making time of the essence.
* The weather. Last April, you will remember, suddenly became incredibly hot. Days after I started the jumper as luck would have it, and so the needles were put down due to sweaty fingers and better things to do in the sunshine quite frankly. Point 1 then came into play and the rest is history.
* Forgetfulness and laziness. Say no more.
It has been lovely to make something for my boy. I'm glad he was first off the grid when I announced I was going to knit something and asked who fancied being the recipient. After all, the Model has had her fair share of makes but all the same, it was a happy occasion to think he wanted his ol' mum to knit for him. He keenly chose his colour combi and the style he wanted from the two or three options I gave him out of this book, unfortunately discontinued now but available still on the internet.
Well, I needn't have worried about it being too small, in fact it is generous to say the least. The body of the garment fits beautifully with bags of room for growth, however the arms would be more fitting for a child of the simian variety. I suppose the right thing would be to take a couple of inches out of the sleeves but to be honest I'm not sure I'm up to the job, emotionally anyway. Given he's just as happy to turn up the cuffs I shall put it down to experience. I seem to remember adding length way back in the day to both the front and back but I don't think I did the same for the sleeves, perhaps my gauge was a bit off. My test swatch revealed tension was too tight so I knitted the jumper with needles one size up and now I'm thinking my tension reverted. Oh well, at least it has been consistent and that's got to be what counts.
By the way, there's still enough time to enter my souvenir giveaway which closes tomorrow night.
Have a wonderful weekend.