16.2.11

candy stripes



There's a distinct shortage of pyjamas in somebody's wardrobe in this house at the moment and I reckon it's that growing business again!

Now it just so happens I've already earmarked a few patterns I want to try this year that require buttonholes and seeing as this is one of those things I've not tackled in my dressmaking so far, I decided this to be the perfect opportunity. After all, if it turned into a botched job it wouldn't be the end of the world, I could always run up a different top and all would be well.


I bought this vintage Horrockses sheet recently for not much money at all, you see the minute I saw its pastel coloured candy stripes I knew it would be perfect for giving it a new life as some Spring nightwear. MLF has certainly made lots of use of her brushed cotton pyjamas these past couple of months but obviously something a little lighter will be in order for the seasons ahead. A strange one this; for a girl who will pretty much wear only dresses or skirts, she prefers pjs to a nightie.

The pattern I used is from this Japanese book, the same one I turned to for this dress as it happens. Placing and cutting out the pattern pieces was a cinch, not to mention adding the pockets, having the narrow stripes as guidance, and better still when I incorporated the wide hem of the sheet into the bottom of the trousers. I even had some spotty buttons waiting in the tin which I think look fun with the stripes. All was well, it was a lovely pattern to sew, very straightforward and, phew, everything went to plan; buttonholes are fun! The model was accommodating too, even wanting to walk off wearing the goods .. praise indeed!


Have a lovely day - I'll be back on Friday with a giveaway.

16 comments:

  1. My teddy bear has those self same jimjams made out of a pillowcase in 1962! I love the candy stripes. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely PJs and very eco too making use of the sheet to make them - I bet it was lovely and soft too?

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way of using such fantastic sheets. I love candy stripe bedding.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet and stripey. I hope she sleeps well in them. Tx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you have overcome the buttonhole thing too! I agree...when you know how..they are fun..the machine does it all perfectly and all we have to do is line it up at the beginning and watch the little needle go for it. I love your little dotty buttons next to the lovely stripes..the pj's look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done. You are becoming quite a whiz with that sewing machine. Your model will be asking for a fan to give that windy day effect to her hair in your photos soon. She is becoming quite a model isn't she ?
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a brilliant use of a sheet, they look great and so very comfortable!! Love the spotty buttons. :)
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still using my candy stripe sheets! handed down to me by my Mum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember sleeping between candy striped sheets when I was small. They make very nice PJs too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Candy stripe pj's - can bedtime get any better?

    Totally beautiful,

    take care,

    Nina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sweet and cute. I can´t believe you hadn´t made buttonholes before!! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vintage sheet into PJs-what a lovely idea! You've done a fab job, well done. laura x

    ReplyDelete
  13. How gorgeous - candy stripes and dotty buttons - and such perfect pj's for a little girl. Well done! Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love candystripe bedlinen! I remember it so fondly from the early 70s when I first came to England. Great idea to use them for pyjamas. I wouldn't mind jimjams like that for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How adorable! I'd love a pair like that myself, I've a couple of candy stripe sheets hoarded away, perhaps I should get the scissors out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They're the sweetest jammies I've ever seen! What a beautiful job, I'll have to learn how to make some for myself.
    Adorable curls too.
    Stephxx

    ReplyDelete

There's nothing like a comment to stop me feeling like I'm talking to myself. If you leave one here I'll pop one back here too, so don't forget to come back and continue the conversation ..

,